7 Ways to Reward the Brain

In my classroom, I am continually thinking about ways to motivate my students to be engaged and be more invested in their own learning. I know that if it is something they want to do and like, they are more likely to be engaged, but most of the time, I feel like I am not successful. If I could incorporate the seven ways to reward the brain in my own teaching by creating a game with those means, I believe that students would be engaged and learning would be the result.

The following are ways to incorporate the 7 ways to reward the brain in the classroom:

1. Experience bars measuring progress - Instead of grading a whole assignment at one time, break it into increments that can be accomplished and rewarded.
2. Multiple long and short term goals - Break an assignment into many short term goals that will lead to the long term goal.
3. Reward for effort - So many times, students try to be successful, but fall short. If they were rewarded for their effort, the effort will increase.
4. Rapid, frequent, clear feedback - Students need to know where they stand and if they are on the right track. A quick redirect or affirmation would help them stay on track.
5. An element of uncertainty - If students are expecting a reward, but don't know exactly when, where, or how, it will come, they will keep looking for it. Students will keep working through a task if there is an impending reward.
6. Windows of enhanced attention - When students are at a heightened attention level, that is a good time to commit information to memory. With that learning comes confidence.
7. Other people - People are more engaged when they are active with their peers. Working together in groups can motivate students to be more active and engaged in their learning.

From www.ted.com/talks/tom_chatfield_7_ways_games_reward_the_brain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wearable Technology

VGo In Schools

Digital Storytelling